HiFiForum.nu
Home | Forums | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Links | Members | Articles | PM | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Private Messages
You must log in to check messages
 All Forums
 HiFiForum.nu - Mångfaldens forum
 HiFi-diskussion
 Martin Design - Monk
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  10:49:21  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Hello!
I apologize for writing in English since this is the only way I can communicate with most of you. I am in USA and read/heard very good things about the Monks. I was thinking about buying the Dynaudio Special 25s but a friend of mine has told me that the Monks would be his choice. He is a true audiophile and heard A LOT of speakers. In USA the Monks retails for $3500 and Special 25 for $4800. Even there is a big price difference, he still says the Monks. I have not heard them and it is very hard to hear them, at least for now since they are too new in USA. If money is no object, what do you guys think about the Monks? Is it really a better choice than the Special 25? What other speakers are comparable to the Monks? It scares me to buy speakers without listening to them but I really want to buy/hear them. Especially after this friend suggested and I read the review at Positive Feedback. Please share your thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Dan Brickman

1179 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  11:05:29  Show Profile Send Dan Brickman a Private Message
I must agree with your friend.
Mårten Design monk is a steal for its price. The Dynaudios are good speakers to but in my book the monks are better even when you consider the price different.

Just remember to match them carefully. They are quite revealing so listen carefully to cables and electronic to match.
I have listen to them together with Advantage, Krell, Arcam and Mark Levinson elecronics and Arcam was the only one in this group that failed to match. By that I dont belive Arcam to be bad only that there are better (and more expensive) hifi gear out there

..and the design... clean just like the sound

"My mistress eyes is nothing like the sun
Go to Top of Page

matson
formerly known as...

1617 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  11:33:34  Show Profile Send matson a Private Message
They are very nice speakers, but when they retail for 3500 USD they run in to some pretty stiff competition.(That is twice the Swedish price btw.)
I would try to demo them against a pair of Revel M20 and, as always, don´t buy anything unheard.

Mvh
Go to Top of Page

dekengren

389 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  11:36:16  Show Profile Send dekengren a Private Message
Micho, a ticket from NY/US to Sweden costs $350 at the moment, and in Sweden the Monk cost $2000. You save more than $1000 and get vacation at the same time!

I like the sound of the Monk and would probably choose the Monk, but that is based on personal preference rather than the Monk being a better speaker. Both are really good and, as I see it, represent two different types of sound so you really should try to listen and decide which "sound" you like.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  12:12:15  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Thank you! As I read more good things, I want to buy them more. Yes, I don't buy speakers without auditioning but this is one of the speakers that might break the rules for me, I do not know why though. Dynas are very different for me which I like, Esotar? So, for bookshelf speakers, you say the Monks are the best speakers/value you can get in EUROPE? Yes, it is a lot more here :( Thank you again!
P.S. I do not know if you've read this review but the reviewer likes them better than his Magnepans which I used to own. One of the best speakers you can buy for the money in the States. Magnepan is a lot more there :) :)
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue5/martenmonk.htm

Edited by - Micho on 2003/04/01 12:43:44
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  12:17:22  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
>>>>Micho, a ticket from NY/US to Sweden costs $350 at the moment, and in Sweden the Monk cost $2000. You save more than $1000 and get vacation at the same time! >>>>

That's a great idea! but I live in the West :(
Still might be cheaper including one-two day(s) stay in Sweden!

Go to Top of Page

matson
formerly known as...

1617 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  13:08:40  Show Profile Send matson a Private Message
Not everyone here who is buying speakers for 2000USD end up buying the Monks, so to say that they are THE BEST would be a bit of a stretch....

It is, after all, a ported box that doesn´t handle the last octave.
The drivers used are good quality units, but nothing exceptional(SEAS tweeter and a Accuton(named Thiel in Europe, but not the same as speaker manufacturer Thiel) bass/midrange.

You might also look into some JMLab speakers that use drivers with the same principle(perfect piston-movement until severe breakup).

Now go find a place to audition them!

Mvh
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  13:39:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hi-bah M!

SNuffmovies´s "a steal" and $3500 isn´t even a burgler ! Though the Djonk´ve become more
adhesive here in Tokholm-City Brandsta City firenedmangling (and it´s suburbs( throughout Sweden, ed ;)) to, you to!!! Serials!!!!!!!
can still fetch a stair for $1695 + mums( and the "mums"-tax do only apply to EU-citizens ;) Mums buns are the best though says pap. Do you do theese do do do Corn flakes in a mangel åver där? Heeeeeeeeeeeessssssss...............

Best Regards A*fjantiomaniac.
Go to Top of Page

Niklas Nord
JBL! Va? JBL! Va? JBL! JBL! JBL!!

6152 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  13:46:08  Show Profile Send Niklas Nord a Private Message
Jösses, nu är A* i farten igen
Audiomaniac indeed

Använd ditt sunda förnuft innan du litar på nått som skrivs på internet.

Edited by - Niklas Nord on 2003/04/01 13:46:58
Go to Top of Page

Terratec

146 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  17:10:15  Show Profile Send Terratec a Private Message
A* har återuppstått i annan skepnad...halleluja
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/01 :  19:41:39  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Dear Matson,
I have heard the JM Labs and to be honest with you it was not for my taste. I am not saying they are bad. I actually meant that in that price range,$2000, as a minimonitor are these one of the best? I would not compare them with floorstanders although my friend told me that its bass is better than Special 25! (of course still not enough bass but I could live with it) I also believe that crossover is the most important thing in the speaker. Of course you should have at least decent drivers. Seas may not be Esotar but with a good crossover design it may be better. I still believe Esotar is very unique though. Thanks again Matson.
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/02 :  00:53:10  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Hey Lars52,

How do you change your message without "Edited by" sign?
Go to Top of Page

sladd

3028 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/02 :  01:07:21  Show Profile  Visit sladd's Homepage Send sladd a Private Message

It only happens on the 1st of april....

Den som jämför med något sämre kommer aldrig framåt

Butiksägare, Hificonsult
Go to Top of Page

s.m.f

1003 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/02 :  06:40:04  Show Profile Send s.m.f a Private Message
well I can´t agree with most of you. In my opinion the 1.3se is better than the monk in most terms. The Monk doesn´t stand a chanse against the special 25. But then again price is always a factor.

Pro-ject RPM 5.1/Oppo bdp 105/Yamaha CX-A 5000/ Primare A30.7/XTZ 2x12.18Ice/Avanti A100DC
s.m.f forever
Go to Top of Page

Pac
200.000-klubben

22003 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/02 :  07:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Pac's Homepage Send Pac a Private Message
Hi Micho!

It's mostly Swedes, Norwegians and Danes at this site. Fun to see that You found Your way over here, Welcome!

My knowledge of the Monk is with a Pass Aleph5 and they were a great match. I completely agree with You that it is how You put the parts together that makes the magic. It's not just to buy the most expensive parts and slap them together.
The Monk is a great package and Leif is a good loudspeaker designer with several really good speakers on the market. If Your budget does stretch to a pair of Miles You will NOT be disapointed.

Regards, P

// Per Adelsson, pac(a)hififorum.nu, Admin och ägare HiFiForum.nu
// HiFiForum.nu's regler, Artikelregister

Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/02 :  11:20:15  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Hi PAC,

Good to be here! Thanks for your welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/22 :  10:18:22  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
I wish I could speak in Swedish What are you guys saying here? Please someone translate

http://hififorum.nu.server60.jepponet.dk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12374&SearchTerms=marten

Edited by - Micho on 2003/04/22 10:20:27
Go to Top of Page

Björn-Ola
Trädgårdsmästarn, 100.000-klubben

7949 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/22 :  12:22:40  Show Profile Send Björn-Ola a Private Message
I think Monk sounds a little bit thin in the mid-range.
But that´s my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

matson
formerly known as...

1617 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/22 :  13:07:18  Show Profile Send matson a Private Message
Micho: They are not talking about anything at all in that thread, except that The Coltrane will be tested in TAS eventually(this autumn)!
There was also a question about which midrange that Marten uses in the Coltrane(C79 btw) and in Monk(C92 I think).
Have you gotten around to audition them(the Monk´s that is) yet?

Mvh
Go to Top of Page

Jakob_S

665 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/22 :  14:33:13  Show Profile Send Jakob_S a Private Message
Micho!

I loved the Monks when I first heard them... Though after hearing them more than once, I discovered that they have a somewhat uneven sound. Some sort of midband colouration which makes them a little less neutral than others.

I can truthfully say, that I'd never go for the Monks now. Not after having listened to a pair of Amphion Xenon's, they're floorstanders though. (But in the right price range.)

//Jakob

Hifi handlar inte om att veta - det handlar om att känna.
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/23 :  08:04:58  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Thank you for all the replies.

Matson: Unfortunately, I have not been able to audition them yet. At the moment I have some financial issues but still trying to read/find out more about them until the time comes to purchase them.
Go to Top of Page

ekman

270 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/23 :  08:10:38  Show Profile Send ekman a Private Message
for 3500$ they would definetly not be my first pick but its a very indvidual thing so do make sure you audition them along with some serious competion before purchase
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/23 :  10:31:24  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
Hi ekman,

I can actually get them for a lot cheaper than $3500, but again I have not heard them. What others do you suggest to listen to? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ekman

270 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/23 :  10:57:13  Show Profile Send ekman a Private Message
hola Micho

well personally id try the audio physic brilon
or the sonus faber cremona or electa amator2

by the way does it have to be standmount speakers???
Go to Top of Page

Micho
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/23 :  11:09:22  Show Profile Send Micho a Private Message
I heard the Sonus Faber speakers (not the Classic Line) and found them very romantic sounding speakers, it was easy to listen to. I really liked them. Never heard the Audio Pyhsic speakers. It does not have to be standmount but I do not want to overload my room, it is between small and medium size, plus it is very easy to move when I move to a permament place in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

ekman

270 Posts

Posted - 2003/04/23 :  11:19:44  Show Profile Send ekman a Private Message
hmm i have to say i agree with you bout the sonus speakers they are a bit romantic but i really like them plus they are really easy to listen to which is a pretty good thing if youre gonna live with them and listen to them on a regular basis plus theyre not exactlly ugly either =)

the audio physics to my ears are a bit more exact but not as romantic they might be a bit too much if you have somewhat bright electronics though but the soundstage and resolution is awesome for the money...

personal choice? audio physic virgo3 used they sell for around $3000 over there =)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HiFiForum.nu © HiFiForum.nu except: Logos and Trademarks are property of their owners, Comments are property of their posters Go To Top Of Page
Denna sida genererades på 0.56 sekunder. Snitz Forums 2000