HiFiForum.nu
Home | Forums | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Links | Members | Articles | PM | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Private Messages
You must log in to check messages
 All Forums
 HiFiForum.nu - Mångfaldens forum
 Teknik och DIY
 Mer av Tom Danley. Hornfrågor.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Circlomanen
Semesterfirare

9880 Posts

Posted - 2005/09/13 :  18:06:37  Show Profile Send Circlomanen a Private Message
"Hi

The TH115 is a very modestly sized bass enclosure, which uses a 15” driver in a new type of low frequency horn I developed called a Tapped Horn.
Your observation about the mouth area being small is correct, the advantage of the Tapped horn is that it allows a significantly smaller horn to be used than normal.
How you ask?
AS you make the horn mouth smaller, one finds ripples in the frequency response, which inversely coincide with peaks and dips in the impedance curve.
These reflect a greatly changing acoustic load on the driver.
With the Tapped Horn, the driver source impedance to the horn is made to change with frequency also, in a way that can largely adapt to the changing horn load, at least over the bass range. This is done by having both sides of the driver, driving the horn but from different points on its length.
You will notice that even with one TH115, the normal ripple one would expect in a horn that small is not present.
A more extreme case is the PB-12 which has a Teeny Tiny mouth but still lacks the traditional ripple pattern.

So far as the LabSub, it was pretty much as much as I could get out of that size box and cutoff, going as far as seemed safe with driver parameters.
Even now some years later, the Lab 12 driver is one beefy driver.

The only Tapped Horn comparable in size to the Lab sub is the Vortex, also a Tapped horn which is a little smaller (42 by 42 by 22 ½ in). I couldn’t find the measurements someone sent me of their single Lab @ 1meter but one for one the Vortex would have less ripple and greater sensitivity."
En bild på The Vortex:

En bild på PB-12:

Och en bild på TH-115:

Så lite frågor mm.
Texten ovan är från PSW sound Reinforcement Forums och skriven av Tom Danley. (Klok man).
Nån som har nån aning eller mer info om denna horntyp?
Det verkar vara riktigt kuliga saker. Den där PB-12 har både hög verkningsgrad och djup återgivning, men jag befarar att den är befläckad av mer kvartsvågspipe beteende än de rena heliga HORNEN bör vara.
Nån??? Nått???

Väldans nyfiken Circloman.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HiFiForum.nu © HiFiForum.nu except: Logos and Trademarks are property of their owners, Comments are property of their posters Go To Top Of Page
Denna sida genererades på 0.22 sekunder. Snitz Forums 2000