HiFiForum.nu
Home | Forums | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Links | Members | Articles | PM | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Private Messages
You must log in to check messages
 All Forums
 HiFiForum.nu - Mångfaldens forum
 Teknik och DIY
 vilken är den optimala högtalarkabeln?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

f95toli

4209 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/22 :  16:32:05  Show Profile Send f95toli a Private Message
Jäpp. Karakterisktiska impedansen är egenligen bara relevant för höga frekvenser där man börjar få stående vågor, reflektioner i kabeln m.m.

Vad gäller koax så tvivlar jag på den är speciellt bra som högtalarkabel, den är inte optimerad för låg induktans utan för låg kapacitans. Men visst fungerar det.

Go to Top of Page

markusA

578 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/22 :  16:48:06  Show Profile Send markusA a Private Message
Puh, räddad...
Coax är ju dyrt ju.
Go to Top of Page

Micke Y
100.000-klubben

7709 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/22 :  21:18:22  Show Profile Send Micke Y a Private Message
f95toli

Visst är det noga med vad man menar och min definition är att de finns att nå för alla och kan bemötas av alla. Därmed uppnås stor säkerhet att de bemöts på ett adekvat sätt, det finns ju inga så intensiva som kabelskeptiker. Titta bara på Propellar head plaza (vilket ballt namn) inom kabelavdelning på audioasylum, där finns oändliga trådar med de som säger att inga vetenskapliga mätningar (eller blindtester) finns och de som säger att det gör det visst.
Jag tror inte vi löser det här(heller).
Jag har klippt en ett inlägg och några svar på det som klargör ganska mycket av vad som sagts i en del mycket långa trådar under ibland ganska hetsigt temprament.

Inmates:
I would like to start a new discussion (what are you, a masochist?) around something that came out of the earlier cable measurement "discussions".

Background (don't argue with this part, please...)
John Curl is seeing artifacts that change repeatably with the cable; Bruno P is not. There has been a lot of discussion about whether the distortion artifacts John is seeing are generated by the cable or the test setup. I'm not commenting on that....

What I want to discuss (feel free to argue with this)

Neither of the measurement systems is measuring the cable in its intended application (in an audio system). The measurement system is an attempt to duplicate the intended use, but we don't yet have a way (AFAIK) to examine a cable in a real system at this resolution. Perhaps Bruno's measurements show that the distortion is NOT generated IN the cable, but John's measurements show what a system can generate when the cable is introduced.

Perhaps John's test setup (even if it is not as "perfect" as the AP), is actually showing us an example of how cables interact with real-world electronics. The AP represents an heroic attempt to NOT interact with the cable, so perhaps it is not behaving like typical audio equipment.

Let's assume for a moment that the artifacts John is seeing are not being generated internally by the cable, but by some as yet unknown interaction with the test setup. Bruno's setup does not exhibit the same interactions. Some of the distortion spectra I saw at John's, although low in level, are of a pattern that I associate with potentially significant changes in sound quality, i.e. odd-order 7th - 11th harmonics that are higher in level than the 2nd or 3rd harmonics. There is plenty of data to suggest that we are HIGHLY sensitive to this stuff, since it is not masked by the fundamental, and it is so amusical.

My hypothesis (fire away)
When a cable is introduced into the complex environment of an audio system, the interaction between source, cable and load produces low-level harmonic distortion that is not predicted by the simple lumped electrical parameters of the source, cable and load.

Every equipment and cable combination would have its own unique signature. Swapping cables in and out would yield unpredictable, but repeatable, changes to the distortion spectrum. It's as much an attribute of the surrounding equipment as it is the cable.

Perhaps this would explain the following subjective reports:

Some systems are more susceptible to cable changes than others
Different systems report different sound quality for the same cable (bright in some systems, dull in others)
The differences are all subtle (it's pretty low-level stuff)

So, 2 questions:

Does this sound like a reasonable theory?
Any ideas how to test it?

Feel free to elaborate, modify or criticize, but please try to keep that knee from jerking before the brain has been engaged...

Peter

Peter: ""Perhaps John's test setup (even if it is not as "perfect" as the AP), is actually showing us an example of how cables interact with real-world electronics. .""
It is doing exactly that..

Peter: ""The AP represents an heroic attempt to NOT interact with the cable, so perhaps it is not behaving like typical audio equipment.""

Don't forget that the 1700 also was designed to that end..but being 20 plus years old, it doesn't do it as well as the AP.

So, yes...it is the interaction between the cables and the 1700..and, since it was designed to NOT interact, the levels will be way down there.

And yes, I believe that typical audio equipment CANNOT be designed to eliminate that interaction, as the designers of each piece cannot know the environment under which they will be connected.

So....I see a very good possibility that John's test setup could be seeing at an extremely low level, that which can happen at a higher, audible one in the home..

That was why I first asked about the configuration of the equipment, and any correlation between results and cable material compositions..

As I recall, those requests were not very well received..

Now, months later...I repeat the same questions..hopefully, discussion will start up where I was cut off..

BTW...JC??..it's really cool having essentially the only piece of equipment on the planet that can distinguish cable types....you are well positioned to determine how the cable types are playing with the 1700, and if it plays out well, extend that to typical home stuff. I care not that the levels are -120dB...that was what the 1700 was designed to do anyway..

Cheers, John

PS...I note that had my questions been received and discussed, we'd be months ahead of where we now are...(hey, I had ta stroke my ego, please forgive this transgression) must be that "mirrorball" post of steve's.

Does this sound like a reasonable theory?
I believe so. I don't think it's any secret that circuits can behave differently with different loading and the cable is part of the load, albeit a minor part. And there is some amount of reactance.

Any ideas how to test it?

Well, in a certain sense, John kinda already has, hasn't he?

It would be interesting to see what happens when using different circuit topologies and different cable geometries spanning high capacitance/low inductance to low inductance/high capacitance.

John's 1700B uses opamps. Perhaps a variety of simple discrete circuits would be fun to look at in this context.

Good post.

OOOps det blev visst lite långt.

Där finns även ett stort antal recept på DIY kablar som man kan testa.

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.
"Se inte ner på 3 ackord låtar, tänk hur många bra vi har gjort med bara 2" Billy Gibbons ZZ Top
Pälsar skall sitta på djur i skogen, inte på människor i stan.
Go to Top of Page

f95toli

4209 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/22 :  22:09:06  Show Profile Send f95toli a Private Message
Se där, en diskussion jag faktiskt följt. Dock inte på Audio Asylum utan på DIYAudio.com. Där finns en LÅNG tråd där bla. Curl deltar

Jag vill först bara klargöra en sak, som jag skrivit innan så tycker jag det är upp till var och en att avgöra vilka kablar han/hon vill använda. Problemet som jag ser det är när man börjar hävda att man OBJEKTIVT (detta är nyckelordet) kan visa att någonting händer pga en fysikalisk effekt som man (enligt mig) inte pratar hifi längre, då sysslar man med materialfysik vilket innebär en helt annan typ av diskussion. Ett stort problem är att de flesta som deltar i de här diskussionerna helt enkelt inte har tillräckliga kunskaper vilket innebär att diskussionerna ibland blir väldigt underliga, det gäller för övrigt bägge sidor.

Tillbaka till diskussionen mellan Curl och Bruno P. Jag har som sagt följt tråden på DIYAudio.com och vad jag kan se har ingen av dem någonting att komma med egentligen, tråden urartade till att gälla vem som hade bäst mätapparatur, problem ur min synvinkel är att mätningarna låg allldeles för nära gränsen för vad någon av mätapparaturen klarar av, det är ju som jag redan påpekat ingen "riktigt" mätinstrument som används i något av fallen. För övrigt kan jag tycka att en sån diskussion är rätt fånig, vad man borde göra är naturligtvis att se till att en tredje part upprepade mätningarna med annan apparatur; att jämföra specar hit och dit leder ingen vart.
Som jag redan påpekat så görs dagligen mätningar som är betydligt känsligare än vad någon av partena i diuskussionen ovan klarar av, så vitt jag vet har den typ av effekt Curl beskriver aldrig observerats (jag har sett en del av Curls kurvor, även om jag inte är någon expert på distortionsmätningar kan jag lova att jag borde sett de "peakar" han ser ganska många gånger vid det här laget när jag mäter andra saker).
Go to Top of Page

markusA

578 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  00:14:21  Show Profile Send markusA a Private Message
Snälla, låt inte den här tråden spåra ur till en religionsdebatt. Vi söker ju alla efter en så njutbar musikupplevelse som möjligt och det spelar väl inte någon större roll vems aparatur som var bäst.
Hittills verkar de flesta vara överens om:
-Låg induktans
-Låg resistans
-Fluorplast som dielektrum
-En rimligt stor kabelarea

En fråga att titta närmare på: Jag har läst att flätning i första hand används som någon alternativ form av skärmning? (Jag har inte koll på Elfältteorin bakom detta)
Det verkar ju ha nån effekt annars skulle inte såpass många vara possitivt inställda till det, eller? Om det är en alternativ skärmteknik, borde man inte kunna lägga på en skärm istället och bespara sig mödan med flätningen?
Go to Top of Page

f95toli

4209 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  00:35:50  Show Profile Send f95toli a Private Message
Nej, jag håller med dig Hefty. Tillbaka till ämnet.

För att (kanske) svara på din fråga, det beror på vad du mnear med flätning. Att tvinna ihop plus och minusledaren är en form av "skärmning" om man nu kan kalla det så om det är vad du menar.
Go to Top of Page

celef
sirap i datorn

2422 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  17:30:53  Show Profile Send celef a Private Message
b&w faq om kablar

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/local.faq/ObjectID/F5CA2780-3D20-11D4-A67F00D0B7473B37

sound pollution
Go to Top of Page

Micke Y
100.000-klubben

7709 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  20:36:49  Show Profile Send Micke Y a Private Message
Nä inte skall något spåra ur. f95toli och jag fortsätter samtalet via PM på f95toli´s initiativ.

Om vi kommer fram till något bra berättar vi efter gemensamt beslut föreslår jag.

Micke

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.
"Se inte ner på 3 ackord låtar, tänk hur många bra vi har gjort med bara 2" Billy Gibbons ZZ Top
Go to Top of Page

markusA

578 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  21:35:05  Show Profile Send markusA a Private Message
Jag har för mig att flätning skulle vara ett sätt att minska påverkan av yttre störningar. Jag gissar på RF eller ngt liknande?Om flätning inte gör det ovan nämda, vad gör flätningen då?
F.ö. så ökar flätningen kapacitansen har jag för mig.
Bra initiativ med PM'andet. :)
Go to Top of Page

Micke Y
100.000-klubben

7709 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  21:57:17  Show Profile Send Micke Y a Private Message
Flätning är till för att minska induktansen.

Micke

Go to Top of Page

markusA

578 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/23 :  22:08:22  Show Profile Send markusA a Private Message
Ahh, minska induktansen? Tja, det verkar iofs ganska vettigt då kapacitancen ökar...
Go to Top of Page

Harry_up

1593 Posts

Posted - 2004/01/25 :  11:40:57  Show Profile Send Harry_up a Private Message
Är inte lite av problemet att man lyssnar inte på bara på kablar när man gör en A-B test? Man lyssnar på 2 olika kombinationer av belastningar och ledare. Kablar som använts mycket i kopplande kan ha fått defekter i kontaktövergångar, lödningar etc. Schyssta guldplätterade kontakter kan vara gjorda av olika legeringar men man köper guldet med ögonen. När man testar kablar så kanske man även lägger kablarna helt olika mot vad man normalt har dom hängade i en blandning av nätkablar, högtalarkablar och småsignal. En riktig kabeldragning gör en hel del till. Samt riktig jordning om man använder sig av det. BNC vore inte fel då dom är standardiserade. Kolla exempelvis att WBT först nu gjort " riktiga" Phonokontakter enligt digitalkabel standard. Har själv varit med om att dyra LINN-kablar fått rörförstärkare att självsvänga utanför det hörbara området, lät inte bra och i detta fall skulle alla kunnat klara en blindtest. Jag har själv i blindtester hört skillnad på kablar men vet ej om dom är repeterbara då det kan ha varit pga individiernas skick (kabelexemplaren, förstärkarna). Kablar är viktiga men att söka absoluta sanningar så att man får fram kabeln "Kabeln" som passar alla har jag ingen tro på.

Inget är så bra så att det inte borde bytas ut.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HiFiForum.nu © HiFiForum.nu except: Logos and Trademarks are property of their owners, Comments are property of their posters Go To Top Of Page
Denna sida genererades på 0.45 sekunder. Snitz Forums 2000