HiFiForum.nu
Home | Forums | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Links | Members | Articles | PM | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Private Messages
You must log in to check messages
 All Forums
 HiFiForum.nu - Mångfaldens forum
 HiFi-diskussion
 Vad är/betyder bias?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pinhead

349 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  09:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Pinhead's Homepage Send Pinhead a Private Message
Finns det någon som kan förklara vad bias är och vilken inverkan det har på slutsteget/förstärkaren?

...det är bara jag som vet atombombsrecepten...och varför knarkare ler...

0hm

Wintermute

281 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  10:00:15  Show Profile Send Wintermute a Private Message
Bias är det medelvärde en signal har. Likspänningskomponenten
i en spänning är ett exempel på bias. En klass A-förstärkare
arbetar internt med en bias motsvarande minst halva maxspänningen.

Hoppas det blev begripligt.

What can be said at all can be said clearly;
and whereof one cannot speak,
thereof one must be silent.
Go to Top of Page

Bernt Jansson
400.000-klubben

19763 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  10:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Bernt Jansson's Homepage Send Bernt Jansson a Private Message
Bias är hur man ställer in röret/transistorn. Man lägger en lagom spänning på gallret/basen/gaten så att ström börjar flyta. Så kan man ställa in hur mycket tomgångsström det går i förstärkaren.

MVH Bernt Mitt system

"Det enda man kan vara praktiskt taget säker på är att en rak tonkurva alltid är fel." - Ingvar Öhman

Jobbar för Jorma Design och gillar bashorn
Go to Top of Page

Ayn

2799 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  11:13:40  Show Profile Send Ayn a Private Message
"Förspänning" med ett ord.

Senaste skiva som jag fastnat för: Mr Mister - Pull. PM:a mig gärna med fler tips!
Go to Top of Page

Orpheus

970 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  12:03:07  Show Profile Send Orpheus a Private Message
Aha!
Helt plötsligt blev allting glasklart.:)
mvh Patrik

Mitt System :http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21660
Go to Top of Page

Pinhead

349 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  13:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Pinhead's Homepage Send Pinhead a Private Message
Är en låg biasinställning att föredra framför en högre? Vad är en optimal biasinställning?

0hm
Go to Top of Page

Bernt Jansson
400.000-klubben

19763 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  13:56:38  Show Profile  Visit Bernt Jansson's Homepage Send Bernt Jansson a Private Message
Hög biasinställning ger bättre ljud. (Klass A) Men då blir problemet värmeutveckling, stora och dyra kylflänsar, högre slitage på rör mm.

MVH Bernt Mitt system

"Det enda man kan vara praktiskt taget säker på är att en rak tonkurva alltid är fel." - Ingvar Öhman

Go to Top of Page

mmx_2

430 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  14:04:05  Show Profile Send mmx_2 a Private Message
Bias används för att transistorer ska komma upp i sitt linjära område. Högre bias (klass a)medger att hela signal kan förstärkas i en enda transistor, annars måste en separat transistor används för den negativa halvperioden (klass B, klass A/B) i parallellkoppling med den för den positiva perioden. En transistor leder nämligen inte backpänd.

Riktiga förstärkare går på 3 faser!
Go to Top of Page

Bernt Jansson
400.000-klubben

19763 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  14:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Bernt Jansson's Homepage Send Bernt Jansson a Private Message
Det går utmärkt att ha push-pull klass A. Förstår inte vad mmx 2 menar, om han inte pratar om single-end vilket ALLTID är klass A. Utan undantag.

MVH Bernt Mitt system

Go to Top of Page

Pinhead

349 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  16:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Pinhead's Homepage Send Pinhead a Private Message
Förlåt min okunnighet, men jag har uppfattat att "single ended" innebar obalanserat (alltså RCA). Har jag missförstått?

Jag har också läst att med klass A menas att transistorerna arbetar hela tiden, medan klass B innebär att transistorerna arbetar växelvis.

Jag emotser mer än gärna förklaring. Kunskap är ju som sagt den lättaste bördan att bära...

0hm

Edited by - Pinhead on 2003/10/01 17:02:13
Go to Top of Page

Rydberg

4519 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/01 :  17:05:48  Show Profile Send Rydberg a Private Message
Kolla på bilderna så förstår du kanske hur bias och klasser hänger ihop

Classes of Operation

Have a look at the diagram on the right. The curve is the one taken from the previous section, and the bias has been set where the red spot is, roughly in the middle of the curve.

If we now superimpose a signal on the grid voltage, the anode current will vary up and down in sypathy with the grid voltage, hence the "Out" waveform.

As the title suggests, this is "Class A". The distinguishing feature of class A is that the valve is conducting current at all times. Note the the "Out" current never drops down to the zero line at any time.

Some output stages are class A (such as the Vox AC-30), and all preamp sections are class A. If you want to check out a circuit diagram with a class A output stage, you can download the circuit of my Blues-112 combo. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat installed to make sense of it!

OK, that's class A out of the way. What about class B? In the diagram on the right, we have set the bias point to where the valve has almost stopped conducting.

Note that the input signal is a lot larger now in order to drive the valve hard enough. Also, the output current is only for half of the waveform.

To make any use of this, we have to have a "push-pull" output stage which employs two valves (or two banks of valves) so that each side amplifies each half of the waveform. While the first output valve provides the output current as shown on the right, the second valve fills in the gap which follows it.

By now, you have probably guessed what class AB is - it's somewhere between class A and class B. Where exactly, is up to the imagination!

In our class AB diagram, a small amount of bias current is flowing through the valve. For the output valves in a typical class AB guitar amplifier, this would amount to around 30-40mA, with peaks of approximately 250-300mA.

In the push-pull output stage, there is a little overlap as each valve assists it's neighbour during a short transition, or crossover period.

Many larger guitar amplifiers are class AB, and we'll find out why a little later on.

Crossover Distortion

Class B suffers from a fundamental problem in that the push-pull amplifier does not, in practice, move smoothly from one half of the waveform to the other half.

When the current outputs from the two valves are added together by the output transformer, a kink can be seen on class B amplifiers (diagram on right). Class AB amplifiers can suffer from this also, if the bias current is too low.

In summary: Class B amplifiers generally introduce some crossover distortion.
Class AB amplifiers may introduce some crossover distortion.
Class A amplifiers introduce no crossover distortion, as both valves conduct simultaneously.

The solution therefore, seems to be to use Class A for guitar amplifiers. Then we don't need to worry about crossover distortion at all. But...

Efficiency

Class AB and B exist for a reason, and the word above says it all. If we look back at the class A diagram, the output valve is drawing current all the time. To get the most power out of a class A amp, it is generally biased so that the bias current puts as much power through the valve as it can take.

This is not as efficient as the class B design which only draws current when it needs to, or the AB which is a hybrid somewhere between the two...

The lower efficiency of the class A means that more heat is generated for the same output power. Let's do a comparison of class A on a pair of EL34's and class B on the same pair of valves.

Manufacturers data for the EL34 shows a single ended class A design running the EL34 right on its anode dissipation limit of 25 watts. 11 watts of output is claimed at 10% THD. For a push-pull class A amplifier, the output figure would double due to the use of two valves, to 22 watts.

Further down the sheet, parameters for class B are listed. Claimed output is 100W at 5% THD - this is substantially higher than the 22 watts for the class A scenario!

Putting this into perspective, you would need ten EL34's to power a 100W amp in class A, and only two for class B. In the hybrid AB amplifiers, four EL34's are generally used for a 100W head such as a Marshall.

Other Classes

There are other classes such as class C, which shift the grid bias even more to the left. These classes are not useful for guitar amplification, and are best suited to Radio Frequency applications which use tuned circuits to remove distortion.

The Numbers

Oh yes, those numbers. There's A1 A2 AB1 AB2 etc., and these distinctions apply only to valve amplifiers.

The scheme is a simple one, with a "1" indicating that the valve does not draw any grid current, and "2" indicating that the valve output stage grid voltage is being pushed above the 0 volt mark and into a positive grid voltage, causing the grid to draw some current from the preceding driver stage.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Edited by - Rydberg on 2003/10/01 17:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Bernt Jansson
400.000-klubben

19763 Posts

Posted - 2003/10/03 :  04:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Bernt Jansson's Homepage Send Bernt Jansson a Private Message
OK, single ended betyder när vi pratar om förstärkare att man hanterar hela signalen i ett
enda rör eller en enda transistor. Push-Pull betyder att två stycken sådana delar på signalen.
Single end MÅSTE gå i klass A. När den slutar gå i klass A så klipper den. Push-Pull kan gå i
klass A också, då hanteras hela signalen i de enskilda rören eller transistorerna, men dessa
spelar i motfas. I en push-pull förstärkare kan man strypa ner tomgångsströmmen så att när
den ena är öppen så är den andra stängd. Detta är klass B. Mellanlägena är klass AB.

MVH Bernt Mitt system

Edited by - Bernt Jansson on 2003/10/03 04:04:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HiFiForum.nu © HiFiForum.nu except: Logos and Trademarks are property of their owners, Comments are property of their posters Go To Top Of Page
Denna sida genererades på 0.75 sekunder. Snitz Forums 2000