HiFiForum.nu
Home | Forums | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Links | Members | Articles | PM | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Private Messages
You must log in to check messages
 All Forums
 HiFiForum.nu - Mångfaldens forum
 Nyheter och HiFi-kalendern
 Ny test av MONTANA EPX !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MONTANA

534 Posts

Posted - 2004/07/04 :  23:54:09  Show Profile  Visit MONTANA's Homepage Send MONTANA a Private Message
MONTANA EPX ble nylig testet i det anerkjente audiomagasinet The Audiophile Voice. Skal man tro magasinets Chuck Bruce har PBN Audio's Peter B. Noerbaek satt en ny standard i det amerikanske prisleiet langt over US Dollar 10.000:

"The EPX driver layout features a vertical M-T-M (midrange-tweeter-midrange) array, D'Appolito style, plus two vertically mounted, forward fired, custom-spec, Peerless 10" woofers. However, to acheive the desired low-bass strength, an identical second pair of woofers is mounted very closely behind the the front woofer pair in an isobaric chamber.

My listening sessions successfully utilized a variety of solid-state and tube amplifiers (some as low as 20 watts per channel), including some use of Noerbaek's new powerful Olympia solid-state amplifiers. I can attest that at 91-dB SPL sensitivity with an amp-friendly four-ohm nominal impedance, the EPXs are a pretty easy drive for even low-power tube amps. However, a robust solid-state amp with high damping factor will typically produce the thightest bass and higher SPL with minimum distortion.

The EPX features likely the "quietest" most vibration-free cabinet that I have ever encountered in this size; it is simply dead as a hammer.

Lateral sound staging is the EPX's forte, as the presentation soundstage was well out to each side of the speakers with the best recordings. Excellent presentation of overall image height is the EPX's second best attribute. The EPXs very effectively convey the spaciosness and grandeur of great orchestral recordings and venues. Does the Montana EPX produce effective bass from real-world recordings on a real world listening-room? Yes, indeed, and I'll say "in spades" to boot. These loudspeakers go deeper into the bass than most others in this price and size class. Bass is there when naturally present in the program, but you just don't notice any excessive bass unless it's on some overblown recording. What we have here is a full-range loudspeaker with more than just robust bass. not lean or bright, the EPX will tell it like it is, without masking or cover-up.

The EPXs just stepped aside, adding little (if any) character of their own, letting the music emerge unfettered. Much of this "high reality" character is due, I feel, to the superb blending of the M-T-M ScanSpeak midrange drivers with the Montana/ScanSpeak Revelator tweeter. This ensemble of superb drivers, together with a superb crossover, simply extracts the heart and soul of the music in the mid to upper registers where the music lives. The EPX cabinets are especially quiet "mechanically", which goes a very long way toward minimizing coloration of the music. Truly remarkable!

Of course this is what it's all about, the ultimate goal, whether for audiophiles or ordinary music lovers.

Placed up against the numerous loudspeakers in the over-$10,000 range, I think that the EPX beats 'em all in low bass giver their price point. Way too many loudspeakers, at way higher prices, are simply outclassed by this loudspeaker. All the while, the EPX presents midrange and treble faithful to the music without distracting discontinuities.

The EPXs just let the music emerge. They are an easier drive than most loudspeakers; specs are 91-dB output for one watt input and a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, with no odd hard-to-drive bumps. Most any respectable tube or solid state amplifier should get the EPXs up to realistic levels. I verified this with various amps with as little as 20 watts, including an ART Audio Jota, a PASS X-150 solid-state unit, and a Cary V12'R' tube unit.

The new PBN/Montana EPX loudspeaker offered up a lot of engaging music over many weeks, never tiring or boring and revealing something special within the music that I had not heard before.

To this fine group of attributes, I tip my hat in sincere respect. Congratulations, Mr. Noerbaek. Indeed, you've got another winning speaker on your hands".

SPESIFIKASJONER:
- 8 stk. 10" Montana/Peerless basser / par
- 4 stk. 5,25" Montana/ScanSpeak mellomtoner / par
- 1" Montana/ScanSpeak Revelator diskant
- 182 kg (u/emballasje)
- 91 dB følsomhet ved 2,83 V / 1 m
- 400 W
- valgfri finish; dusinvis av eksklusive/eksotiske tresorter, sort piano lakk eller "coating" i nær sagt en hvilken som helst ønsket farge

Mvh
HighEnd
Nordisk distributør av MONTANA / PBN OLYMPIA
Morten H.
kontakt@highend.no
992 54862 / www.highend.no / www.pbnaudio.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------MITT PRIVATE SYSTEM : MONTANA EPX, 2 x PBN OLYMPIA MINI poweramps, PBN OLYMPIA-L preamp, PBN OLYMPIA CPS powersupply + PBN/Monster 75 ohms interconnects, Straight Wire Crescendo/Black Silk/VirtuosoR kabler++

HighEnd - MONTANA - PBN OLYMPIA - GRAND PRIX AUDIO - EMM Labs - kontakt@highend.no / www.highend.no / www.pbnaudio.com / www.grandprixaudio.com /
www.emmlabs.com
System: MONTANA KAS2 - PBN OLYMPIA EB-SA2 - PBN OLYMPIA-LX/CPS - GRAND PRIX AUDIO Monaco - EMM Labs DAC2X http://www.highend.no

Micke Y
100.000-klubben

7709 Posts

Posted - 2004/07/05 :  14:11:25  Show Profile Send Micke Y a Private Message
Gissar jag rätt om du har deras 75 ohms system?

Micke

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.
"Se inte ner på 3 ackord låtar, tänk hur många bra vi har gjort med bara 2" Billy Gibbons ZZ Top
Pälsar skall sitta på djur i skogen, inte på människor i stan.
Go to Top of Page

MONTANA

534 Posts

Posted - 2004/07/05 :  17:18:59  Show Profile  Visit MONTANA's Homepage Send MONTANA a Private Message
Du har helt rett, benytter meg selvsagt av muligheten til å bruke de medfølgende PBN/Monster 75 ohms kableme som mine PBN OLYMPIA MINI poweramps/PBN OLYMPIA-L/-CPS preamp gir, da dette i praksis eliminerer enhver motstand mellom forsterkerne, uten å legge noe til eller trekke noe fra (kan i prinsippet ha 500 meter lange interconnects uten hørbar forringelse av signalet). 75 ohms-systemet er kostbart å implementere i forsterkerne, krever bl.a. solid kjøling internt i preamp, men det låter bedre enn noen ubalansert RCA-kabel (som meget høy motstand) eller balansert XLR-kabel, uansett pris (mer punch, slam, detaljer etc.), har ekperimentert litt med dette selv.

Mvh
Morten
HighEnd
+47 992 54862
www.pbnaudio.com / www.highend.no

HighEnd - MONTANA - PBN OLYMPIA - GRAND PRIX AUDIO - EMM Labs - kontakt@highend.no / www.highend.no / www.pbnaudio.com / www.grandprixaudio.com /
www.emmlabs.com
System: MONTANA KAS2 - PBN OLYMPIA EB-SA2 - PBN OLYMPIA-LX/CPS - GRAND PRIX AUDIO Monaco - EMM Labs DAC2X http://www.highend.no
Go to Top of Page

johan.björklund
Reportage-Harry -05 & -07, 100.000-klubben!

20859 Posts

Posted - 2004/07/06 :  15:37:56  Show Profile  Visit johan.björklund's Homepage Send johan.björklund a Private Message
Har du inga prier ??

Ha det bäst
J

>musik förmedlingen<
Medlem av det Skånska välljuds sällskapet eoJEUD
Go to Top of Page

Sanoj
Mannen med bilderna

2475 Posts

Posted - 2004/07/06 :  15:54:55  Show Profile Send Sanoj a Private Message
Dina länkar till butiken funkar inte....

//Jonas

Konsult hos Consulterna
Go to Top of Page

MONTANA

534 Posts

Posted - 2004/07/06 :  19:21:44  Show Profile  Visit MONTANA's Homepage Send MONTANA a Private Message
Johan: "Prier"? Hvis du mener priser, kan jeg godt supplere med dette, bare gi meg et hint. HighEnd ble etablert i november 2003, og foreløpig er alle produktene priset en del LAVERE enn utslgspris i USA pga. det unike, kostnadsbesparende import- og salgskonseptet til HighEnd.

Sanoj: HighEnd sin website er midlertidig ute av drift, det arbeides med å få den i drift igjen, men mye info. om produktene fremgår på www.pbnaudio.com , herunder modeller, bilder, specs, tester, USA-priser (ekskl. US tax) osv. Produsenten, PBN AUDIO, arbeider med en oppatering av sin website, hvor også informasjon om de nylig introduserte PBN OLYMPIA for- og effektforsterkerne vil bli lagt ut.

Mvh
Morten
Nordic Distributor of
MONTANA / PBN AUDIO
+47 992 54862 / kontakt@highend.no

www.emmlabs.com

Edited by - MONTANA on 2004/07/06 19:29:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HiFiForum.nu © HiFiForum.nu except: Logos and Trademarks are property of their owners, Comments are property of their posters Go To Top Of Page
Denna sida genererades på 0.73 sekunder. Snitz Forums 2000