HiFiForum.nu
Home | Forums | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Links | Members | Articles | PM | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Private Messages
You must log in to check messages
 All Forums
 HiFiForum.nu - Mångfaldens forum
 Musik
 CD och SACD lag av "DSotM" ÄR olika!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markku
Vänta, jag har en mätning på det här...

934 Posts

Posted - 2003/05/21 :  18:45:08  Show Profile Send markku a Private Message
Stereophiles John Atkinson avslöjar med sina mätningar, hurdan CD lag till 30th Anniversary version av Dark Side of TheMoon är lagat annorlunda, så att jämförelse mellan CD och DSD ville vara dumt.

Fig.5 "Money," CD layer, waveform during second guitar solo at 4:46.

Atkinson skriver bl.a.:
quote:
The ear is relatively forgiving of this type of clipping when it happens on an occasional basis. It is over almost as fast as it happens. But when it occurs over and over again, as it does here, the result is fatiguing. It is, after all, distortion.

Why would someone do this? The cynic would suggest that it was to make the SACD transfer more transparent-sounding than the CD transfer, with less grain and greater dynamic contrasts apparent. Maybe. However, you then have to deal with the fact that to untrained ears, "louder" is always "better," and the CD layer does indeed sound louder.

I suspect, therefore, that the work was done on the CD layer so that it didn't sound too different from the dynamically crippled norm that non-audiophiles have come to expect as "CD sound." Certainly if you do a Google search for comments on this SACD, many people have written how much they like the CD layer, describing it as having more "impact," more "punch."

But the difference negates any comparisons between the two media, at least using this recording.

Läs hela artikel:

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1649

När man läser komment till Jon Iverson, så ringer klockorna hos mig i alla fall:

quote:
... I can almost see the young EMI exec jabbing his finger at the mastering engineer and shouting, "The audiophiles have got their prissy SACD layer, now make the other one ROCK!"

So, when it came to the new DSotM re-release, they simply applied the standard sub-standard treatment.

mvh
Markku
I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein 1952
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HiFiForum.nu © HiFiForum.nu except: Logos and Trademarks are property of their owners, Comments are property of their posters Go To Top Of Page
Denna sida genererades på 0.36 sekunder. Snitz Forums 2000